Brahmananda Keshab Chandra College, named after the nineteenth century social reformer, Keshab Chandra Sen, has completed over fifty years of providing education to students who join its portals. Popularly known as B.K.C. College, the institution was established with the aim of filling a vacuum in higher education in North 24 Parganas and has always striven to excel in creating capable citizens of India. Alumni of the college have excelled in various walks of life. The College believes in the idea that education does not consist in mere learning; but involves fostering a sense of social responsibility among its students, the future agents of social change. It is with these aims that the college has been moving ahead, contributing to the cause of education and hopes to do so in the years to come.
In 1954, Professor J.C.Ghosh, the then Vice-Chancellor of Calcutta University, surveyed the available higher educational
facilities in North 24 Parganas. The survey revealed that facilities were inadequate given the huge influx of refugees in
the area. Professor Ghosh stressed the immediate necessity of setting up at least eight colleges for male students and two
for female students in Kolkata and its surroundings in order to cope with the growing demand for college education in both
humanities and sciences. He further suggested that these ten colleges should be established and financed by the Central
Relief and Rehabilitation Ministry, Government of India. Soon after, Dr B C. Roy, the then Chief Minister of West Bengal,
took up the proposal with the Government of India, which was accepted by the Central Relief and Rehabilitation Ministry.
The Ministry agreed to set up ten colleges in and around Kolkata and bear the financial commitments as well.
Brahmananda Keshab Chandra College was thus established in 1956 as one of the colleges under this scheme with the aim of providing higher education. Initially the college was housed at Sagar Dutta Free High School, Kamarhati and later moved to its own premises in 1957.
The College is situated on seven acres of land at premises No 111/2, Barrackpore Trunk Road, Bon-Hooghly, Kolkata – 700 108, near the Indian Statistical Institute at North-West corner of a lake. It is one of the few colleges that have a huge ground for the use of the students. Route Direction
The College is affiliated to the West Bengal State University and offers Courses in the following subjects-
|Science||B.Sc in Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, Botany, Zoology, Economics, Statistics, Molecular Biology and Computer Science.|
|B.Sc Major in Industrial Fish and Fisheries.|
|Humanities||B.A in English, Bengali, History, Political Science, Philosophy and Sanskrit.|
English, Bengali and Environmental Science are compulsory Subjects for all first year students.